FACTORS NECESSARY TO SUSTAIN COMPLEX LIFE ON EARTH
Consideration of the facts below will of necessity require any logical thinker to realize that the earth is unique in its place in the universe. Remember, all these factors must be present for life to exist here on earth. Not one can be missing.
1. Earth must have water to sustain complex life because it is vital to transmit the nutrients necessary to support life. Water also gives our planet the ability to absorb heat from the sun which is critical to regulate the temperature of the earth.
2. Earth must be at the right distance from the sun for water to even exist so that it won’t boil away or freeze. If we were 5% closer to the Sun we would be like Venus. If we were 20% further away from the Sun our planet would like Mars.
3. Earth must be in a solar system that is protected by giant planets to shield the earth from too many comet impacts.
4. Earth must have the correct strength of magnetic field to protect it from the solar wind that would otherwise strip away our atmosphere and earth would become like Mars.
5. To possess the correct strength of magnetic field Earth had to be just the right size to have just enough heat in its core to generate this magnetic field.
6. Earth must have an oxygen rich atmosphere to support complex life. But, this atmosphere must have the correct balance of Oxygen (21%), Nitrogen (78%), and Carbon Dioxide (1%) to support complex life. This mixture of gases allows for a temperate climate, liquid water, and protection from the Suns radiation.
7. Earth must have just the right atmosphere that will protect the earth from the harmful rays from the sun and allow the beneficial rays of visible light to reach the earth to sustain life.
8. Earth must have a crust that is just thick enough to maintain plate tectonics recycling which allows the regulation of the internal temperature of Earth’s core, recycles carbon, and mixes chemical elements in our atmosphere essential for living organisms.
9. Earth must spin on its axis. This enables the surface of the Earth to not have a hot and cold side and be subjected to increased radiation from solar flares or freezing temperatures.
10. Earth must have enough land mass to support the balance of complex biospheres for all it’s life forms in proportion to the water on the surface.
11. Earth must have a moon of just the right size to stabilize our planet on our axis which allows for moderate seasonal changes.
12. Earth must be in a nearly circular orbit to normalize temperature on the planet.
13. Earth must have a moderate rate of rotation.
14. The star we orbit is just the right size. If the sun were smaller we would have to orbit closer to insure we were in the habitable zone, but this closeness to the sun would increase gravity and would stop our rotation and bring us into a synchronized orbit with the sun.
15. Earth must be at the right location within the galaxy. Our solar system is placed half way from the core of the Milky-Way galaxy and its edge. If we were near the core of the galaxy the radiation and its black hole could destroy us. If we were placed near the edge of the galaxy there are not enough heavy elements to build earth size planets. Just as there is a habitable zone in our solar system so there is a habitable zone in our galaxy.
16. Earth is just the right distance from the spiral arms in the Milky-Way galaxy where super nova and star formation occurs which would be dangerous for earth. We are located between the Sagittarius and Perseus spiral arms of our galaxy.
17. Earth must be at the right location within the galaxy for us to observe our own position in the universe which would reveal the power and wisdom of the God of creation.
Psalm 19:1, “The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament shows His handiwork.”
Romans 1:20-23, “For since the creation of the world His invisible attributes are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even His eternal power and Godhead, so that they are without excuse, because, although they knew God, they did not glorify Him as God, nor were thankful, but became futile in their thoughts, and their foolish hearts were darkened. Professing to be wise, they became fools, and changed the glory of the incorruptible God into an image made like corruptible man--and birds and four-footed animals and creeping things.”
This study was written by Pastor Steve Carr. If we can be of any further assistance please contact us at